The other day I was with a friend/client who’s the owner-manager of a high-performing technology-enabled manufacturing business she’s been the primary owner of for a couple of decades. Over the past year or so we have been actively engaged in imagining, thinking aloud, and formulating plans for exploring the best long-term ownership alternatives for the …
Private enterprise value
HOW IS IT THAT SOME PRIVATELY OWNED BUSINESSES END UP with terrific new majority owners, the Entrepreneur Owner-Managers (EOMs) moving gracefully into the next interesting and rewarding chapter of their lives, surrounded by friends, their positive legacy assured, their independence powered by the fortune just realized...while others' outcomes look more like a train wreck? Is it merely luck, or is it more than that?
We think it's more than that. Successfully striving for achievement, and ultimately fulfillment, leaves clues. Deconstructing the behavior of the highest performing EOMs lets us learn a lot about peak performance and optimal experience.
I spent last week at the TED2018 conference in Vancouver, BC with 1199 other adventurous seekers. You’ll see the results of our celebration in Ted Talks online over the next twelve months or so. Traveling back to the east coast, I was reflecting on the week.
You Can Do
- Enterprising business owners will find a wealth of useful advice in If You Want to Earn a Capital Gain Someday: Six Things You Can Do Right Now (2015), a new book from the partners of Bigelow LLC (Pete Worrell, Dave Linton, and Rob MacLeod) that has just been published by Blue Tree.
- This practical, hands-on book is filled with nuggets of information—and recommendations—from veterans of the private transaction market that any private business owner will be able to put to immediate use.
- Each chapter concludes with a compilation of thoughtful, focusing questions designed to inspire interested Entrepreneur Owner-Managers (EOMs) to discover their own answers.
- Published by McGraw-Hill in 2014, this work vividly describes lessons learned from working with the best seasoned successful Entrepreneur Owner-Managers (EOMs) creating sustaining wealth and positive legacy—at the intersection of Finance and Psychology.
- This work is based on established foundational theory in finance, economics, and positive psychology, coupled with the authors' years of experience working exclusively with hundreds of seasoned, successful EOMs—industry disruptors and game changers.
- You might enjoy this "video book trailer", (analogous to a movie trailer). It speaks to a number of themes and concepts discussed in the book Enterprise Value. View the trailer here.